My name is Elena and I am a Chef Master. I want to share this recipe with you because it is one of my favorite dishes to prepare. Chicken souse is a dish that is filled with flavor and has the perfect balance of spices to make it a mouth-watering meal. I hope you enjoy making this recipe as much as I do.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Recipe Category: Main Course
- Recipe Cuisine: Caribbean
- Aggregate Rating: 4.8
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 scallion
- 1 carrot
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- Wash and season the chicken legs with salt and black pepper.
- Chop the onion, garlic, thyme, scallion, carrot, and scotch bonnet pepper.
- In a large pot, heat up some oil and brown the chicken legs on both sides.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the pot and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the water, vinegar, and more salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about an hour or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
What is chicken souse?
Chicken souse is a Caribbean dish made with chicken, vegetables, and spices.
What is scotch bonnet pepper?
Scotch bonnet pepper is a type of chili pepper that is commonly used in Caribbean cuisine.
Can I use chicken breast instead of chicken legs?
Yes, you can use chicken breast instead of chicken legs. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready to serve.
What can I serve with chicken souse?
You can serve chicken souse with rice, bread, or potatoes.
Is chicken souse spicy?
Yes, chicken souse is typically spicy due to the use of scotch bonnet pepper.
1. Use chicken thighs instead of legs for a more tender and juicy result.
2. Adjust the amount of scotch bonnet pepper to your liking. If you prefer less spice, remove the seeds and membranes before adding it to the pot.
3. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro for added flavor and color.
Chicken souse is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you're cooking for your family or hosting a dinner party, this recipe is sure to impress. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you can make this dish in no time. So go ahead and give it a try!