These baked chicken tacos are easy to put together and can be enjoyed in a lettuce wrap or a soft tortilla. So tasty, you could replace all your other recipes with this one!
There are so many options for tacos these days. There's the classic ground beef, chicken and fish tacos that you're probably familiar with. But there are also vegetarian and vegan taco options such as black bean tacos, tempeh or tofu tacos, and portobello mushroom or vegetable-based tacos. Today we'll be making a healthy option: baked chicken tacos!
What are Baked Chicken Tacos
Taquito is a Spanish term that translates to tiny taco. It is thought that the name taco originally referred to strips of paper that miners would wrap around gunpowder and put in holes that were cut into the face of the rock while mining.
- What is the difference between a taco and a burrito?
- What are some common ingredients in tacos?
- What can you put inside your taco shell or tortilla that isn't traditionally used to make them from scratch, such as cheese, avocado/tomato, lettuce leaves, sour cream etc.?
It is thought that the origin of the taco originated in Mexican silver mines. A miner would wrap the paper around gunpowder called "taco", which was then lit before being placed into holes cut into rock faces while working underground. Because these were wrapped by hand, they became known as tacos (meaning small).
Why make tacos at home
Are Homemade Tacos Healthy? Homemade is always healthier since you can control the ingredients. Homemade tacos include less salt, and they have veggies in them, so these tacos are better for you than fast food tacos.
Why make tacos at home. Why eat out when you can have delicious, healthy homemade tacos that are better for you and the environment? Let me show you how to make a homemade taco salad!
Steps: - Put lettuce in a bowl, top with tomatoes, onions, avocado (optional), black beans or corn (optional) - Add shredded cheese if desired - Top with salsa and cilantro lime dressing of choice
- Place each item on the individual plate so guests can customize their meal; fill bowls with ingredients and enjoy!
- Serve any other toppings as an option, such as sour cream or guacamole, to add even more flavour.
How to make Baked Chicken Tacos
American tacos use flour tortillas or crispy, hard-shelled corn tortillas. You'll notice that authentic Mexican tacos employ soft corn tortillas as the wrapping. Next comes the toppings. Tex-Mex tacos are loaded with shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sour cream. Mexican tacos, on the other hand (and as previously mentioned), are bare-bones.
Add shredded cheese if desired - Top with salsa and cilantro lime dressing of choice.
Place each item on the individual plate so guests can customize their meal; fill bowls with ingredients and enjoy! Serve any other toppings as an option, such as sour cream or guacamole, to add even more flavour. How to make tacos American tacos use flour tortillas or crispy, hard-shelled corn tortillas. You'll notice that authentic Mexican tacos employ soft corn tortillas as the wrapping. Next comes the toppings. Tex-Mex tacos are loaded with shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sour cream.Print
Baked Chicken Tacos
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 Tacos 1x
These baked chicken tacos are so easy to put together and can be enjoyed in a lettuce wrap or on a soft tortilla. So tasty, you could replace all your other recipes with this one!
- 6 Extra Thin Corn Tortillas, I used Mission
- 6 oz Cooked Chicken Breast, chopped or shredded (or your choice of filling)
- ½ C (56g) Shredded Cheddar , or your choice of cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Wrap the tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel and microwave for 45-60 seconds, flipping halfway through. (This will make the tortillas easier to fold.)
- Add the chicken and peppers (or your choice of filling) to one half of each tortilla. Top with cheese before folding over. Gently press down to seal each taco. (If you notice any tearing in the tortillas, you need to microwave the tortillas for another 15-30 seconds.)
- Place a baking sheet or flat surface with a bit of weight on top of the tacos to press them down. This prevents the tacos from opening during baking and helps the cheese fully seal the tacos so they stick together after baking.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the tortillas are golden brown. Be careful not to burn. (If you’re having trouble getting them crisp, remove the second baking sheet towards the end of cooking since the tacos will be sealed by then. And using a baking sheet instead of a wire rack on the bottom will take a bit longer.)
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Easy
Keywords: Easy Recipes
Summary: Tacos are one of the most popular foods in America, especially among Mexican Americans. This healthy and delicious recipe for tacos may be just what you need to take your next taco night meal from good to great. Try making our recipe at home, or give it a try with your favourite family recipes!
Reference - Tacos