Hello, my name is Elena, and I am a Chef Master. I have been creating and sharing recipes for many years and have developed a passion for creating recipes that are both delicious and easy to make. Today, I want to share with you one of my all-time favorite recipes - Cracker Barrel Recipe for Chicken and Dumplings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Recipe Category: Main Dish
- Recipe Cuisine: American
- Aggregate Rating: 5/5
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the milk to the bowl and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to ⅛-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into strips or squares.
- In a large pot, add the chicken, chicken broth, black pepper, thyme, sage, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the dumplings to the pot, stirring gently to combine.
- Cover and let simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
|Amount per serving||% Daily Value *|
- Q: Can I use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken?
- A: Yes, you can use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Q: Can I freeze this dish?
- A: Yes, you can freeze this dish. Just be sure to let it cool completely before placing it in an airtight container and freezing.
- Q: Can I use milk alternatives?
- A: Yes, you can use milk alternatives such as almond milk or soy milk.
- Q: Can I add vegetables to this recipe?
- A: Yes, you can add vegetables such as carrots or celery to this recipe.
- Q: Can I make the dumplings ahead of time?
- A: Yes, you can make the dumplings ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator until ready to use.
1. Be sure to roll the dumplings out thinly to ensure they cook through properly.
2. To make the dish even more flavorful, you can add herbs such as rosemary, oregano, or basil to the chicken broth.
3. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
And there you have it - my recipe for Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings. I hope you enjoy making and eating this dish as much as I do!