For vegan mashed potato cakes coated in Parmesan and fried in olives, I ran across this recipe. And I had to try, and it looked so wonderful! The texture was great, and the taste was outstanding.
- 2.67 large potatoes about 1 lb.
- 1.33 egg
- 1.33 cup grated Parmesan + extra ½ cup for dredging
- 0.33 cup chopped parsley
- 0.33 cup chopped chives or scallion
- 0.33 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.67 tsp. salt or to taste
- 0.67 tsp. pepper or to taste
- 4 tbsp. olive oil for frying
- Cook the potatoes in gently boiling water until tender, about 20-25 minutes, depending on the size. Let them cool down completely. Peel.
- Place the potatoes in a medium mixing bowl and mash well using a potato masher.
- To the same bowl, add the egg, Parmesan, parsley, chives, flour, salt, and pepper. Mix everything well.
- Scoop up about a ½ cup of the potato mixture and form it into a patty.
- Place about a ½ cup of Parmesan into a shallow dish. Roll the patties in the parmesan to coat.
- Heat up some olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the potato patties, and fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until they turn golden brown.
Cool the potatoes. Make sure your potatoes have cooled down completely before adding the rest of the ingredients and making the patties. If you use hot potatoes, your potato cakes won’t hold their shape well.
Don’t make the patties too thin. Your cakes should be about 1 inch thick. This way, it’ll be easier to flip them and they won’t break apart.
Be generous with the Parmesan. When rolling the patties in the Parmesan mixture, press the cheese into the patties. This step adds extra flavor and extra crispiness to the potato cakes.
Add herbs to taste. Although I am using parsley and chives in this recipe, feel free to substitute the herbs to fit your tastes best. Dill, cilantro, scallions, and basil would make a great fit.
Don’t fiddle. Be patient and let the cakes fry for 3-4 minutes before flipping them. If you flip them too early, you can ruin the cake.
- Category: Potatoes
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegetarian Recipes